Communicating with Elected Officials

It is important that your elected officials hear from you about children and youth related issues that are important to you regarding education, health and welfare.

Kentucky Representatives

Mailing Address:
Senator/Representative (insert name)
Legislative Offices, Capitol Annex
Frankfort, KY 40601
You may also call them at home or during the legislative session leave a message:
LRC Phone Number: (502) 564-8100 Message Center extension – 434
Toll Free LRC Legislative Message Line: 1-800-372-7181
View a directory of KY Senators and Representatives

Congressional Representatives

Addressing Correspondence to a Senate Member:
The Honorable (Name)
United States Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Senator (Name),

Addressing Correspondence to a House Member:
The Honorable (full name)
__(Rm.#)__(name of) House Office Building
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative:

The letter is the most popular choice of communication. If you decide to write a letter, this list of helpful suggestions will improve the effectiveness of the letter:

  • Your purpose for writing should be stated in the first paragraph of the letter. If your letter pertains to a specific piece of legislation, identify it accordingly, e.g., House bill: ____, Senate bill: ____.
  • Be courteous, to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position.
  • Address only one issue in each letter; and, if possible, keep the letter to one page.

Note: When writing to the Chair of a Committee or the Speaker of the House, it is proper to address them as: Dear Mr. Chairman or Madam Chairwoman: or Dear Mr. Speaker or Madam Speaker:

Tips On E-mailing Congress

Generally, the same guidelines apply as with writing letters. You may find and e-mail your senators and representative directly from the National PTA.

Tips for Phoning Elected Officials

To find your Congress person’s phone numbers, you may use the searchable online congressional directory or call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for your senators’ and/or representative’s office.
Remember that a staff member, not the elected official, usually takes telephone calls.
Ask to speak with the aide who handles the issue about which you wish to comment.
After identifying yourself, tell the aide you would like to leave a brief message, such as: “Please tell Senator/Representative (Name) that I support/oppose (give the bill name and number)…” You will also want to state reasons for your support or opposition to the bill.
Ask for your senator or representative’s position on the bill. You may also request a written response to your telephone call.

🚨 Sign up for Kentucky PTA’s Legislative Alerts! 🚨

Sign up here to receive Legislative Alerts. These alerts will be emailed when there are specific legislative calls to action concerning the PTA’s mission.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
What is Advocacy?
Legislative Priorities