Reflections is a cultural arts program that was established by National PTA in 1968. This arts program is open to any student through a local PTA/PTSA in good standing as of October 15th of each year. Students, grades P-12, may submit entries in six categories: literature, musical composition, photography, visual arts, dance choreography, and film production. Students may submit an entry in any (or all) category (categories). Reflections entries are judged at the local level, the district level, then at the state level. Kentucky PTA winning entries are sent to National PTA. Kentucky has had National winners for several years. Contact your local or district PTA/PTSA for deadlines.
The 2017-2018 Reflections Theme is: “Within Reach”
2016-2017 Reflections “What is Your Story?”
Creative Interpretation Winners
Dance Choreography: Alexandria Kinard
Film Production: Julianne de la Liana
Literature: Isabella Huntley
Music Composition: Tara Rakesh
Photography: Hannah Locklear
Visual Arts: Ella Wright
Kentucky Theme Search Winners
“If you open your eyes…” , Atticus Haden
“Kindness can be…”, Zoey Haden
“Better Together”, Ryan Shinkle
“Make Every Day Count “, Damien Keith
“The Greatest Journey”, Stephen Pineda
National Reflections Winners
Award of Excellence – Visual Arts – Uriel Trujillo
Award of Merit – Visual Arts – Alexander Stumbur
Award of Merit – Visual Arts – Tara Rakesh
Award of Merit – Photography – Zachary Catalano
Award of Excellence – Photography – Hannah Locklear
Award of Merit – Dance Choreography – Evelyn Margaret Hruby
Five Reasons To Run The Reflections Program
- Students who participate get an opportunity to explore the arts and culture, develop creative thinking and problem-solving skills and recognize themselves as artists and become more interested in the ideas and works of others.
- The Reflections Program is run by parent volunteers; therefore providing another opportunity to involve parents in their children’s education.
- Participating in the Reflections Program gives students a chance to experiment in six art categories: literature, musical composition, photography, visual arts (including such forms as drawing, painting, printmaking, and collage), dance choreography, and film production.
- When children express themselves through words, pictures, music, and other art media they grow intellectually – they learn to analyze their thoughts and feelings.
- The Reflections Program helps parents recognize, support, and enhance the continuous self-discovery process of their children.
KY PTA 2016-2017 Reflections Dates:
National Arts in Education Week—. Students, teachers, families and schools are encouraged to participate in the arts during the week. Click here.
December 2017: Entries due to KY PTA – no late entries
March 2018: “Arts in the Schools Month,” “Youth Art Month” and “Music in Our Schools Month” and this is a great time to take a deeper look at advocacy for #ArtsEd.
April 2018: Entries due to National PTA – by State PTA
School and District Leaders:
Reflections Local Leader’s Guide 2017-2018 En español
Reflections Leader’s Checklist 2017-2018
Reflections Volunteer Sign-Up 2017-2018
Within Reach Poster 24×36 Call for Entries
Reflections Reviewer Packet 2017-2018
Steps to Running a Reflections Program:
Step One: Register your PTA.
National PTA has moved to digital only submissions, but be sure to print out a copy of your registration to send with student work you advance to the district level competition. Click here to register your PTA for the 2017-2018 Reflections Art Contest.
Step Two: Get organized.
Set due dates for submissions and judging. Be sure to allow plenty of time for judging and organizing artwork. Set your deadline at least one month before entries are due to the next round.
Recruit and organize volunteers.
Step Three: Advertise and Promote the PTA Reflections Contest
Within Reach Poster 24×36 Call for Entries
Step Four: Get to know the Rules.
These rules must be followed in order for entries to be eligible to advance to the national level competition. See above links to get the rules.
Check out other Arts-Related Opportunities from National PTA:
Mary Lou Anderson Grant. The National PTA Mary Lou Anderson Reflections Arts Enhancement Grant provides matching dollar funding to local PTAs to support in-school and after-school arts enhancement programs within their communities.
Click here for details.