Now is a critical time to get parents engaged in your PTA. Getting them onboard early will mean more support for PTA efforts throughout the school year. National PTA has partnered with different programs that can help you meet many of your current objectives… including increasing parental involvement. They have proved very valuable to local units looking to increase family involvement and membership. You can visit the National PTA’s Male Involvement webpage for more ideas and information.
100 Black Men of America, Inc.
100 Black Men of America, Inc., is an alliance of leading African American men in business, industry, public affairs and government with a mission to improve the quality of life for African Americans, particularly African American youth. With more than 100 chapters in the United States, England and the Caribbean, the organization is dedicated to creating educational opportunities; promoting economic empowerment; addressing health disparities; and creating positive, nurturing mentoring relationships that extend across a lifetime.
WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students)
WATCH D.O.G.S. is a program of the National Center for Fathering focusing on prevention of violence in schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures to provide an unobtrusive presence in the schools, and to be a positive role-model for students.
Through WATCH D.O.G.S. participation:
- Schools get an enhanced sense of security at their buildings, creating an environment conducive to learning.
- Students gain positive male role models, including students without such role models.
- Fathers learn about the complex challenges facing today’s youth.
- Fathers gain awareness of the positive impact they can have on a student’s academic performance, self esteem, and social behavior.
- WATCH D.O.G.S. is for fathers and father-figures who volunteer at least one day each year at an official WATCH D.O.G.S. school. During the day, WATCH D.O.G.S may read with students, eat lunch with them, watch school entrances and hallways, mentor students, and any other assigned activities.
All Pro Dad
All Pro Dad, founded by Tony Dungy, is a program of Family First, an organization dedicated to strengthening the family. All Pro Dad programs include:
- All Pro Dad’s Day—A one-hour monthly breakfast held before school where fathers/male role models and their kids can meet, have fun and discuss family topics. Materials for All Pro Dad’s Days are free of charge to local organizers. These materials include videos, father/child discussion cards, door prizes, meeting instructions, brochures, posters and promotional flyers.
- NFL Father and Kids Experience—Held in conjunction with an NFL team, these events include workshops on father and child relationships, motivational talks, and interactive sports and games.
- Play of the Day—A concise daily e-mail of fatherhood advice.